Renovation Tips - Do This First
Do This First!
You’ve bought your first home and you’re eager to put your stamp on it. You want to renovate, but you’re not sure whether you should live in the house first or just go ahead and renovate right away. Here are 5 reasons to live in your home before renovating.
- Get to Know Your House. You never really know a house until you live in it for a while. Those creaks and groans that you thought were charming might turn out to be frustrating—or they might just be the house settling. Get to know your new home before you commit to any major changes. You might find that you don’t need to change a thing!
- See How the Sun Moves. The angle of the sun changes throughout the year, and that can have a big impact on how your home feels. Wait until different seasons to see how the sunlight hits different rooms at different times of day. Then, you can plan your renovations accordingly to make the most of the natural light.
- Learn What Works (and What Doesn't). As you live in your home, you’ll start to get a feel for what works and what doesn’t. That wonky layout that seemed like no big deal when you were touring the house might start to drive you crazy after a few weeks. By living in your house first, you can avoid making any big mistakes when you do finally renovate.
- Find Hidden Problems. Every home has its quirks, but some problems are hidden behind walls or under floors. Once you live in a house for a while, those problems will start to reveal themselves—and then you can figure out how (or if) you want to address them when you renovate.
- Make Changes Gradually. If you move into a fully renovated home, it can be overwhelming—especially if something goes wrong. If you make changes gradually as you live in the house, though, it will be much easier to manage (and much less expensive!) any issues that come up along the way.
There’s no right or wrong answer when it comes to whether or not to live in your home before renovating, but there are definitely some advantages to doing so!
If you want to see my top 5 Home Renovation Tips to Increase The Value of Your Home you should watch this video next where I will tell you the return on your investment. So come join me on this video next.